Garth Almgren

Default Cable Steering Problem

On 7/14/2004 9:42 AM, sue wrote:

I would love a picture if you can come up with one. I tried to do it
alone which didn't work well at all, another person would definately
help. I had an awful time ondoing just one side of the cable because
the connections are so old and was trying to avoid having to undo the
other side. It took almst an hour and one broken screw driver to get
it off. Guess I will have to bite the bullet. I just realized it would
probably be easier for me to just cut the old cable and get a new one
with new couplers. No use doing all this with a 20 year old cable.

Yeah, it's way easier to use new hardware. I got a pair of new springs,
and it's incredible how much stiffer they were than the old rusty ones,
and how much of a difference in handling that makes. Plus, as you found
out, screwing and unscrewing corroded clamps is no fun.

With my luck I'll finally get it OK (20 degrees off at this point
would be fine!) and the couplers or cable will break. But yes, a
diagram or something would be a great help. Many Thanks.

Here's a few pictures I took:
http://galmgren.home.comcast.net/gla...000s/steering/

As you can see from the "looking from" pictures, two full wraps around
the drum for each direction should be fine. The starboard pulley and
spring in the stern weren't visible because of the extra motor wiring
harness I have coiled up there, but they're a mirror image of the ones
in the port side picture.

The real trick is to get enough tension in the springs when you clamp
down, and for that you really need more than two hands.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing