John H. John H. is offline

Default Getting in the spirit ...

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:11:10 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:15:45 -0500, HK wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:37:04 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Colored spotlights, inflatable figures, plastic candy canes............the
list is endless! ;-)

Neon palm trees and flamingos are very popular here in south Florida.

(not home yet but making good progress)

One of the aspects of Florida I enjoyed the most when I lived there was
the absolute tastelessness on exhibit almost everywhere. I happened to
be in one dipstick Florida town one holiday season and got to see its
annual Christmas parade, in which the various fundie church
congregations ran floats depicting the crucifixion. Yes, they had live
guys up there on the cross. Well, gag me with a spoon.

Harry, I was raised Roman Catholic, have been to many religious festivals
and parades, and have lived all over this country and several different
parts of the world. I've never seen or heard of a live person displayed on
a cross, except at Oberammergau, Germany.

In the past couple weeks you've described two such incidents.

Remarkable.

It is done in Latin communities and is hundreds of years old, it
definitely is not a fundie type thing. My guess is Harry saw a photo of
it, and really didn't understand what it was, and just guessed that it
was a fundie thing.

Interesting. I lived for three years in Puerto Rico. Must have just missed
it.

I know Harry wouldn't lie or anything, but I did find it remarkable.
--
John H