Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Skip's Angst

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
You know, we all get a bit down in the mouth at times with the whole
world crushing us. Right now, I'm trying to get a power boat fixed
enough to move on to and a sail boat fixed enough to move off of and
sell. It seems as though the work is never going to end - I was a fool
to take this on - Lord, am I tired of boats!

I think if I were a tired old man who attempted things greater than his
paltry ability to succeed, I would be down in the mouth, too. It would grate
on me knowing I had attempted a circumnavigation but only had enough of the
"right stuff" to get less than half the way 'round. I had bit off more than
I could chew. Boat was too big and complicated. I couldn't keep up with the
maintenance. Expenses got out of hand. Even worse is being stuck in some
backwater with no future while the trip grinds to a halt and contemplating
dying of old age among the heathens there while slumming it aboard some
decrepit old motorboat tied to a dock within sight of the sailboat in which
I failed to realize my dreams. A third world boat person. Look over there at
your erstwhile vessel and what do you see? Failure and shame, dreams not
realized. inability to finish what you started, defeat, the end of the road.

But, I've found that if you just take things one day at a time and do
what you can each day somehow, all at once, you find that you have,
somehow, worked your way out of the mess and are back afloat.

If you call some tired old motorboat "back afloat?" But I guess it suits
you. Tired old defeated boat for a tired, defeated old geezer and his crone
wife.

I'm not much of a drinker but I do believe that the AA guys have
something with their one day at a time thing.

If I were you I would commence drinking at once. Drown your sorrows. Get
drunk and feel good about "the good old days" when you still had what it
takes. Reflect upon those of us who still do have what it takes and still do
circumnavigations and still are able to do circumnavigations and still enjoy
the hell out of them. If you think about it, memories are about all that is
left to you, Pops. Try rum. I've noticed it allows you to recall mostly the
positive memories. (There's a slim chance you might have a few of that type.
You can't always have been a failure.)

Wilbur Hubbard