sue

Default Cable Steering Problem

I have an old boat that was working just fine till a pulley pulled off
it's anchor the other day. I was able to find another little anchor
thing and repair that but also found that when the steering cable
went slack it had unwound from the thing that turns when you turn the
steering wheel..don't know what you call it but the steering cable is
wound around it. I tried un-hooking one side of the steering cable
rewinding it but I didn't do it right I guess because it won't steer
all the way to the left and it's too slack on the right and keeps
coming off the pulley, Does anyone know how this is supposed to be
rewound? It's easily accessable below the steering wheel but I don't
know how to rewind it correctly..Help..please.