Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Skip's Angst

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-19 04:44:00 -0500, Paul Cassel
said:

The joke is you take an oar. Put it over your shoulder and start
walking inland. As soon as someone asks what that thing is over your
shoulder, you're far enough inland. Turn around 180 degrees, return to
the boat and you'll be ready for another few months of life afloat.

Dang, this paragraph keeps dragging me in.

We're weekend warriors, but this seems such a true reflection of the
cruising life.

That we are out and moving more than most cruisers is beside the point.
Those who understand our obsession typically live close to the shores we
frequent.

Most of us are brought up on land. For me that means desert and mountain
where the ground doesn't move. Where you wash a towel and it dries in a
half hour to a scratch finish.

Make a boat your entire world and even if the scenery changes every day,
the boat is your world. It's tiny compared to even a small house and
microscopic compared to walking around the block. Sailboats are worse
than power because meter for meter, they had less room and move
movement. Things never get really dry. We're cramped and damp - often
cold and never able to fully relax because we're always moving and even
while sleeping aware that "all hands" may be called at any time.

This may be different for those kids brought up afloat - I can't say as
I never kept track of any but for most of us who are land oriented, who
are used to being dry except when we swim or take a shower - a life
afloat needs reprieve from time to time.

I know from long experience this is true. Curiously, this is LESS a
phenom singlehanding than if you are with a crew. People rub on each other.

-paul