posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

On 2007-11-12 19:33:41 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
said:

The large container ships I have seen leave a nice rolling wake. While
it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I have never seen
a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as large. I am trying
to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater would have that is
leaving a wake larger than a container ship.

Agreement that the container ships leave less steep wakes that are no
problem, even when I am only a few boat lengths away (we're *on* the
channel, so sometimes have to wait for traffic to pass).

Have seen a few powerboats throw as high wakes, though, and they were
much more square-shouldered. THEY can cause problems when they pass
within a few hundred yards.

Side issue: Silliest thing I see on the Bay is the mid-size Sea Rays
(primarily) going along "on plane" with the bow ridiculously above the
helmsman's line of sight. They throw an enormous wake for their size
and speed and look so strange with their bows pointing up to the sky.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD