Lauri Tarkkonen Lauri Tarkkonen is offline

Default Windvanes

In "Roger Long" writes:

You should take a look at the Cap Horn. Although primarily designed for the
very neat, integrated installation, they are also available for outboard
mounting with outboard rudders in which form the installation is no more
difficult than the other models. Their mechanism is dead simple and very
reliable. They were new on the scene when the book was written so they
don't get much coverage aside from some comments that they don't have some
adjustments that other vanes do. Not a big issue in my experience.

I love mine.

--
Roger Long

The idea is neat, but the geometry of the 2:1 gear gives you better
steering and better damping. This is a bit complicated to explain, but
because it is in the books so I do not bother to do it here.

To my taste it is too complicated. There was a professor in general
mechanics and engineering who started every lecture by telling: Simple
macines are reliable. This has been forgotten. I gave Cap Horn a very
serious look and thought in the Düsseldorf boat fair, but it really did
not have anyting to compensate for the complications of installation.

- Lauri Tarkkonen