Leanne Leanne is offline

Default Windvanes

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

In . com Bob
writes:

On Nov 12, 8:04 am, "Roger Long" wrote:

Bob,

The tone of your reply makes a lot more sense to me when I read what you
just posted and realize that you are tilting at windmills.

I think, but maybe I'm wrong, that the OP was talking about windVANES,
those
wonderful devices that steer the boat without using any of the
electrical
power that would be produced by a windMILL.

I have no experience with the latter aside from occasionally wondering
how
people put up with the noise when I get close to one.

--
Roger Long

Hey Roger !

Duhhh, a second read I find myself embarrassed by my critical and
shallow understanding of the post.
You are right ! Ah, wind vanes............ got one, an Aries. Works
great but always a bit nervous when stuffing the stern into a tight
slip. Lots of money hanging off the stern to get bent out of shape.

Thanks for the correction Roger. But I still draw the line at wind
mills on a boat.

Bob

If you had a Windpilot, you did not have this problem. :-).

- Lauri Tarkkonen

I've read the book, looked at the setup Roger has on Strider and
just can't go there (my boat is just way too small).

I went out and sailed today and thought about all this.

In the scale I would need I was wondering if anybody had seen a
trim tab on the rudder that was operated by a vane?

Or is that completely nuts?

Richard

I saw one out in the Pacific that was mounted on an outboard rudder. The
wind vane was a simple V shape on top of the rod leading to the trim tab.
The vane was mounted on a collar that could be adjusted for the wind.
Actually I think he loosened the set screw and let it weather cock and the
reached back and tightened it up. Very simple and he had used it from Samoa
to Japan, on a home built 36'r.

Leanne