posted to alt.sailing.asa
JimC JimC is offline

Default This could get the liberals howling!

Robert Musgine wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
. net...

Robert Musgine wrote:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=206575

Imagine everyone owning a handgun - what a better world it would be!

9/11 would have never happened if the passengers were armed.

Columbine would have never happened if the teachers were armed.

Free men own guns!!

Guns keep you safe!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lWyp-RQCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lWyp-RQCc

Whether or not the right to bear arms is "individual" or "collective"
isn't the real issue. The real issue is how to interpret and apply both
clauses of the Amendment, and in particular, how to relate the first
clause - "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a
free state..." - to the second. For the last 70 years, the test for
applicability of the 2nd Amendment, as interpreted in a series of Federal
Circuit Appeals Court rulings since Miller, has been the "reasonable
relation" test, i.e., whether there is a reasonable relation between the
intended use or character of the firearm(s) and some form of well
regulated militia. It should also be kept in mind that the courts have not
interpreted any of the amendments as being universally applicable under
all circumstances. And don't forget about protecting our right to own
rocket launchers, cannons, tanks, etc., all of which would be necessary to
defend the security of the "free state."

Sounds like you are hoping for an interpretation in which the Court, in
essence, simply ignores or discards altogether the entire first clause of
the amendment. Of course, the rednecks claim that the "WELL REGULATED
militia" is simply "the people" (based on an obscure case decided in the
19th century). - Absolutely absurd! - Regulation is what they don't like,
not something they support or endorse.

Jim

I would take militia to mean what it meant when the Constitution was
written.

The Constitution of the United States provides on this subject as follows:
Art. 1, s. 8, 14. Congress shall have power to provide for calling forth the
militia to execute the laws of the Union, suppress insurrections, and repel
invasions.

- 15. to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and
for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the
United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the
officers, and the authority of training the militia, according to the
discipline prescribed by congress.

Now it seems who ever is eligible to be called forth to fight wars is the
militia. The militia is run by the States. So aren't are armed forces (with
the exception of the national guard) unconstitutional? But then isn't it up
to what the individual states claim is the militia?

The bottom line is that we need more armed citizens. The government is our
servant, it is not the other way around. More guns means more freedom.

Whatever the Second Amendment means by the term: "militia", One thing is
certain. - It's a "well REGULATED militia." (I emphasize the word
"militia" because, over long experience in such discussions, it's going
to be ignored, dismissed, or passed right on by if I don't.)

Jim