Joe Joe is offline

Default Eco-Sailing

On Nov 10, 1:02 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Roger Long" wrote:

"Joe" wrote

You Roger are invited here next Friday if you can make it for free Caye
coffee and a tour, after all I did use the math formula you
provided to determine how much cargo we can carry safely.

Thanks very much but it's a bit far to go, even for good coffee and I've got
to haul my boat next week.

For the record, just in case you get abducted by aliens or have some other
mishap, I did not provide you with a formula to determine how much cargo you
can safely carry. I did give you a way to make a rough estimate of how much
your draft will change with the addition of weight. Whether your vessel is
"safe" at *any* particular draft is a very different question.

Even when I do a complete stability analysis, stability test, computer
model, Coast Guard stability criteria, loading conditions, righting arms,
wind heel area, etc., safety has little to do with it. The boiler plate in
the letter that accompanies such reports states that I am not expressing any
opinion about the vessel's safety or seaworthiness. I perform standard
calculations in accordance with a recognized methodology to determine
certain characteristics. International research and conventions has
produced a consensus that certain measures of these characteristics are
associated with vessels that have a reasonable chance of surviving the
effects of weather. Some of these measures have been turned into
regulation. It is the comparison of the characteristics found by the
calculations I perform with numbers determined by IMO, USCG, and other
organizations that makes the determination of safety, not my opinion.

It's a lot like the law. It doesn't guarantee justice. Having a legal
system increases order and civility and increases the probability of any
particular individual being treated justly but any individual can still
experience a severe miscarriage of justice. Even your USCG certificated
sailing vessel can be capsized (In fact, it may be more likely to be
capsized because of being designed to accomodate a stupid set of regulations
than if it were just designed to meet the rigors of the ocean. But, that's
another story and rant.).

I haven't got a clue whether you will be safe or not but I sure hope you get
back with that coffee.

Are you accepting pre-orders or is it all committed to Ebay? I'd like to
get some fresh off the dock. I can't help noticing that there is a certain
tension between sailboat speeds and the concept of "freshness" but the polar
bears would certainly thank you if they knew

BTW Do you plan to do this again? I'm sure you could get plenty of school
supplies with more lead time. My sailing partner would put your email in
the church bulletin except that time is now too short.

--
Roger Long

Yeah I was kidding on the safety thing, I've been loading boats all
my life and know how to secure cargo and when to say that's enough.

Yes we are planning on doing this full time if we can sell the coffee
fast enough. If we sell all the cargo before Christmas (our goal) we
will kick off in January for another load of mostly 1 lb packs. The
coffee will be about 3 weeks fresh roasted when it hits the market,
the average store bought is 6 mo to 3 yrs old. We plan on shipping
some green beans for the home roaster if thats not fresh enough. But
keep in mind IMO a great Roast master is almost as important as the
beans.

My sailing partner has rounded up 2 violens, 2 guitars, and a 2 drums
so far. She also has been in contact with Wal-Mart and they may come
through with a nice load of school supplies, if not we will spring for
as much as we can afford.

The schools have an average of 50 kids per class room . They are very
poor and shipping any supplies is very expensive for them. All the
school children are very polite and friendly.

School yardhttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2876755830063212926IYXKlP

The dockhttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2000261720063212926lSCITj

Dirt Bags?http://sports.webshots.com/photo/208...63212926qbnnnT

From offshore San Pedro

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/208...63212926qbnnnT

400 YO anchorhttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2305255530063212926pRUVZj

Roller on the reefhttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2138748320063212926pRrgfN

Caye Coffeehttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2394901020063212926dJhhJY

Airport Cauker Cayehttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2609329090063212926CIVDtI

Da Planehttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2309618830063212926YgCLdk

Dr. Jackson & Terry & Doghttp://sports.webshots.com/photo/2295913100063212926HhoLZk- Hide quoted text -

Oh forgot.. No we are not comitted to sell on ebay just feel it's a
good ave to mkt.
We will be selling it here in El-Lago at the dock, and hang a shingle
on the internet. We haven't taken any orders yet, and I hate to sell
anything I don't have in hand. As soon as we hit the dock I'll post a
link to order....Thanks for your support.

Joe