Armond Perretta Armond Perretta is offline

Default Power boaters and their wakes

Skip Gundlach wrote:

... three power boats were coming up on our stern. I got on the
blower and said, "Southbound power boats approaching southbound St.
Thomas registry sailboat (our name is on the bow and sideboards, not
the stern), when you get to me, I'll pull over to the right and go
into neutral to allow you a safe slow pass." ...

I have made 12 or so transits on the Atlantic ICW from the NYC vicinity to
the Keys. Despite the prohibitions regarding traffic on VHF 16, I routinely
contact upcoming power boat traffic (and sometimes sail traffic that is
clearly able to pass quickly) and advise that I will pull to the right
(usually) and go to neutral to allow a quick pass. I don't recall ever
encountering an uncooperative vessel under such circumstances. Usually I
get a response on VHF 16, a short "OK" or the like. Sometime they leave me
guessing but still pass well.

Unfortunately this abuses 16, so I don't often mention my boat name, just
something like "small white sailboat 400 yards on your bow," etc.

Works for me.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat