posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:49:02 -0500, HK wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
Old news to some perhaps but probably not everyone.

A 210 ft coastal cruise ship, the Spirit of Nantucket, struck a
previously unknown submerged object south of the Pungo Ferry Bridge
and began taking on water. The captain ran the ship aground to
prevent sinking. Passengers have been taken off and the leakage
stabilized. A salvage plan is in progress.

The Atlantic ICW south of Great Bridge, VA is now closed to all
commercial traffic, and recreational boats drawing more than 6 ft
until further notice. For them, the only way south is around Cape
Hatteras and the Outer Banks.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...6626&ran=68933

Did they run into the transmission you dropped?

I think I know where that one is. The real mystery is where this
obstruction came from. I guess it's possible that last week's storm
could have moved something around.

The winter storms in Lake Michigan and Lake Superior move some monster
boulders very long distances, but I would be surprised if last weeks
storm could have moved a large boulder in the ICW. You don't have
enough fetch to really generate really powerful waves in the ICW.

It will be interesting to see what they turn up. My guess is someone
unloaded a derelict boat.