Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Power boaters and their wakes

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Finally, three power boats were coming up on our stern. I got on the
blower and said, "Southbound power boats approaching southbound St.
Thomas registry sailboat (our name is on the bow and sideboards, not
the stern), when you get to me, I'll pull over to the right and go
into neutral to allow you a safe slow pass." Nothing heard.

I used to hang out the side of the boat with a camera to take their
picture sometimes.

That's what I did - and that's what they did. The two miscreants were
in the lead, and another followed right behind. There was a fourth
rather further behind, and he continued to blast along, alarming the
ladyfolk, but I said, and it proved correct, that he was just closing
the gap. Just at the right time, he pulled it back, and idled by.

When we were first in the ICW, it took us a little while to learn how
to do a good pass. When a clued-in power boater would ask us to slow
down so they could pass, I would be like "slow down - we're already
slower than paint drying", and we wouldn't go into neutral.

I thanked them and congratulated all on the perfect pass, and they all
picked it up again and continued to blast along. I heard nothing
further from any down the line about what jerks they were, so I gather
they got the point.

Last night (boats tend to move in flotillas) we were chatting with
another boat we'd met along the way, and they commented on how lovely
and considerate all the power boaters had seemed to be - but they'd
been in front of us, and so would have experienced these boats after
us. We have, indeed, encountered - generally - great courtesy, as
we've gone along. However, these above, I also heard in chatter, I
think, must have been inexperienced, as I heard, not long before they
got to us, some complaint (an attempt, not successful, in doing the
slow pass) being responded to as "a learning experience in progress" -
so perhaps they got their training in the Alligator-Pungo Canal :{))

In one way the Canal would have helped because I have an absolutely
terrible time with power boaters who think that they are doing us a
favor by going a long way away from us before they pass. In a canal,
they can't do that.

We're off to Oriental next. As a side note to the above experience,
we were sailing for part of our time, and were quite stiff. So, when
overtakers would hail us, or, if nothing heard, I'd tell them
unilaterally, I assured them they could blast on by. They appreciated
that effort, too.

Just incidentally, there's supposed to be a significant problem on the
ICW near Swansboro, but I expect you are going outside at Beaufort
(??)