Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Power boaters and their wakes

As the original discussion has wandered a great deal, I'll start a new
one.

We're working our way down the ICW in order to miss Hatteras. We were
already in the Alligator-Pungo Canal when I overheard chatter on 16 to
the effect that a couple of power boaters had severely waked a couple
of sailboaters just before the turn into the canal.

The conversation I overheard had to do with something else, but
because it included a boat we'd become friendly with in an earlier
stop, I called to find out what was up.

The short story was that these two big boats had blown by without so
much as slowing down, let alone doing a slow pass, or even
acknowledging a hail. In two separate chatters, I'd heard two
different boats being taken to task; over the next while I learned
their names.

As those who bother to read my logs know, we've got Lydia's 82 year
old mother aboard with us. This provided a good opportunity to flex
some muscle. My comments (on 68 so as to not alert others as to what
was to come, but also not to tie up the hailing channel) to the other
boat we'd heard tell of this were to the effect that perhaps if I were
to warn them about the potential consequences of their behavior, it
might moderate. I did so (see below) but got no response. Follow up
with my friend included that likely not only had they heard, but,
certainly, the USCG had heard as well (they have been doing their
regular "get off this channel and take it to a working channel" bit
for those whose chatter goes beyond a couple of words or a single
exchange).

Here's what I said: "Grain of Salt (later shown to be grain of sand,
but I'm sure they got the point), Grain of Salt, Grain of Salt, this
is Sailing Vessel Flying Pig, ahead of you. We're aware of your
behavior. We have an 82 year old woman aboard. If you pass us like
you did the last couple of sailboats, and your wake causes her to lose
her balance and she is injured, be advised that we *WILL* take you to
court. Flying Pig out."

Not surprisingly, nothing was heard (despite the fact of the mistaken
name, I can't imagine there was any confusion on the point). Later,
we heard traffic complaining about these same two boats' passage
behavior, but it sounded like each successive one got a little better.

Finally, three power boats were coming up on our stern. I got on the
blower and said, "Southbound power boats approaching southbound St.
Thomas registry sailboat (our name is on the bow and sideboards, not
the stern), when you get to me, I'll pull over to the right and go
into neutral to allow you a safe slow pass." Nothing heard.

That's what I did - and that's what they did. The two miscreants were
in the lead, and another followed right behind. There was a fourth
rather further behind, and he continued to blast along, alarming the
ladyfolk, but I said, and it proved correct, that he was just closing
the gap. Just at the right time, he pulled it back, and idled by.

I thanked them and congratulated all on the perfect pass, and they all
picked it up again and continued to blast along. I heard nothing
further from any down the line about what jerks they were, so I gather
they got the point.

Last night (boats tend to move in flotillas) we were chatting with
another boat we'd met along the way, and they commented on how lovely
and considerate all the power boaters had seemed to be - but they'd
been in front of us, and so would have experienced these boats after
us. We have, indeed, encountered - generally - great courtesy, as
we've gone along. However, these above, I also heard in chatter, I
think, must have been inexperienced, as I heard, not long before they
got to us, some complaint (an attempt, not successful, in doing the
slow pass) being responded to as "a learning experience in progress" -
so perhaps they got their training in the Alligator-Pungo Canal :{))

We're off to Oriental next. As a side note to the above experience,
we were sailing for part of our time, and were quite stiff. So, when
overtakers would hail us, or, if nothing heard, I'd tell them
unilaterally, I assured them they could blast on by. They appreciated
that effort, too.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)