Lloyd Sumpter

Default First Aid Kit opinions wanted

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:06:30 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

If you could have only 5 things in a first aid kit for the boat, what would they
be?

If you could have 10, what would you add?

(General first aid kit, not something specialized for a diabetic, heart patient,
hemophiliac, etc)

Interesting question!

First, I hate band-aids. I figure if the wound is small enough to be treated
with a bandaid, you can "suck it up" and let your body practice healing on its
own. Anyway, you can easily make one from a bit of TP and tape.

Second, some of the stuff mentioned I wouldn't consider "firstaid", but I have
on my boat: sunscreen, Tylonal/asprin, Gravol, sharp knife, etc.

Non-First Aid things that would help:
- Sunscreen, Vitamin E (I find it relieves sunburn)
- Tylonol/Asprin
- Gravol
- Sharp knife, scissors, tweezers
- TP (not sterile, but pretty clean!)
- tape
- long thin things to make splints (anything from galley utensils to boathook)
- Blankets, source of heat (hypothermia!)
- Clean, fresh water
- Baking Soda (to releive acid burns)
- Ice, towel

One thing to remember: on a boat (especially a sailboat), you may be hours, even
days, from "professional" medical help (As opposed to most SOFA training where
the Mantra is "get medical help immediately")

So, my List:
1. Gauze pads
2. Triangular bandages
3. Polysporin
4. Gauze tape
5. "first aid" stickytape (donno what its called)

For 6-10, more gauze pads and triangle bandages! (maybe some tweezers: I can
never find mine!)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36