posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Jim is offline

Default Bio-diesel additive

dazed and confuzzed wrote:
Frank wrote:

I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

From a non marine perspective, I can say that after several years of
using B-10, there is no issue with biodiesel blends. Heavy equipment,
automotive use, and truck use have left no issues to deal with.

High percentages (in excess of 50%)will cause corrosion is some steel
lines and destroy rubber hoses and gaskets.

But 5% should cause no issues.

Everything I have read says there are a lot of reasons to use it and no
valid reasons not to.