posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters

On 2007-11-06 14:44:50 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Ok, so we proceeded to sail, then got to a good spot to turn on the
engine
and drop the sails. Did this, motored about 200 meters, when the cooling
water hi temp alarm came on.

THAT concerns me! The kayaker was just bucking for a Darwin award.

After thinking about it between then and now and recalling the expression of
"determination" on his face, I'm now under the impression that he just
didn't know how to control his kayak (which would still qualify for the
award, given the general location). Some people think because the sun is
shining and there's no wind, there are no other hazards... like other boats,
currents, etc.

We've found that even with the fresh water closed off, we have about 5
minutes' run-time at cruise power (about 2200 rpm) before the high-temp
alarm sounds -- quite a bit further than 200 meters. We used that reserve
once about a decade ago, so I know it exists.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

I know you're right... we did run the engine from time to time during the
trek back, but at lower rpm and for shorter times..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com