posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:44:50 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Well, the final leg was sailing down the fairway, very light wind at this
point... under 2kts, but we made a beautiful docking, and all ended well.

So what was the cause of the overheating? I had an issue with overheating
this summer. Turned out the raw water intake was plugged up part way by
barnacles. Disconnected the intake hose at the engine and ran a bent coat
wire down the opening a few times. Problem solved.

I'm still waiting to hear... I'm sure they'll let me know mid-week when they
get to it.

I had an interesting situation on my boat with one of the bilge pumps not
pumping even though it was running. I got to my boat after the class to find
a bit of water in the bilge, enough that it should have triggered the pump.
Foolishly, I had switched off the bilge pump at the panel, and thought, oh
well, not a big deal. But, when I switched it to auto, it ran and nothing
got removed. Hmmm... pulled the pump and it was pushing water through the
exhaust side. Gave the tube that would normally connect to the exhaust side
a puff, yech, but it's only bilge water right, and it was clogged. Hmmm....
turns out the check valve (bronze) was not opening in the out direction. One
push of a screwdriver fixed that, but I replaced both valves after both
pumps.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com