Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Ping Bob - more on anchors

Bob wrote:
Would ya all read it over and referee it for me. I am still skeptical
of this connections under actual anchoring stormy conditions. i.e.
jerk n yank. ON the other hand, maybe its time to step into the twenty
first century.....

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Stud...hainsplice.htm

I've used this technique since this report came out. I've used the
splice as described, its pretty straight forward. Every time I anchor I
pause as the splice goes out for a quick inspection, and I've never seen
any wear, not has there been a problem going through the gypsy.

I use 50 feet of chain, which I believe is sufficient to reap most of
the benefits of chain, but the weight of the ground tackle is low enough
that it would not be too hard to recover without a windlass, nor does it
weigh down the bow of my catamaran. The few time I've had trouble
setting would not have been helped by more chain because they involved
soft mud or grass.