Peggie Hall

Default New Toilet

Wally, I kinda have to agree with John. The manual PH II should last
for at least 20-25 years if you don't abuse it..keep it properly
lubricated, and rebuild it every 5 years. Take the motor off it, and
you'll have a fine manual toilet for the price of air valve and the
rebuild kit you've already bought.

I haven't pulled the unit to rebuild it because I'm going to put
in a new tank (Ronco) and re-hose everything.

That's kinda like deciding not to repair the roof on the house because
you're planning to replace all the windows. Rebuilding the toilet and
replacing the tank and hoses have nothing whatever to do with each
other...but continuing to use the toilet without rebuilding and
lubricating it can cost you a toilet.

The toilet wouldn't pump out on our latest trip, so I disconnected the
motor to obtain a bigger throw with the lever. Anyway, I was reading
about your advice on the little vent thing, so I promptly twisted that
right off the pump housing. I guess I can dig out the old treads, but
was going to replace the whole housing and the air valve.

"Don't force it, get it a bigger hammer"...??? Did it occur to you
that your problem might actually not have anything to do with the
toilet, but was due to a blocked tank vent?

That little teeny valve is $25.00 and the pump housing is $43.00.

But I don't TEEEN the housing includes the valve...and besides--do you
only need the valve...or did you also mangle the housing?

Since the toilet is from 1989, I thought I might as well replace it.

It's your money and your boat...but, fwiw, that toilet--minus the
motor--should have at least another good 5-10 years in it.

Otoh, the Raritan SeaEra is an excellent toilet...macerates, available
in either raw water or pressurized water models--both as "conversions"
that will allow you to keep your existing bowl--and uses considerably
less power than the PHE II--only 10 amps for the pressurized water
version, 16 for the raw water.

I didn't see that one. I was considering the Atlantes, but for a
$600.00 savings, the Sea Era looks good, expecially since I can keep my
larger bowl (seat).

If you're determined to go with electric, it's an excellent choice for
a 30' boat. The Atlantes is a wonderful toilet--everything and much MORE
than a VacuFlush for less than half the price installed--but IMO it's
overkill for your boat...if it'll even fit in the head. The full
household size all china bowl is 19" front-back.

Check 'em both out on the Raritan wehsite at http://www.raritaneng.com

I'm not sure which way to go as to fresh or raw water. I'm on Lake Erie
and there hasn't been a problem with odor with my current raw water
intake.

Eliminating seawater intake odor isn't the only advantage. Pressurized
water toilets use less power (because they don't have intake
pumps)...also less flush water (half or even less that needed by raw
water toilets), and are MUCH quieter...in fact, you can barely hear
'em...'cuz it's the intake pump, not the discharge pump and macerator,
that make all the noise. All that, especially the lower flush water
volume in waters where you can only use a holding tank, is worth
considering.

I guess I could tee off the head sink pipe, but it's that Quest or
similar plumbing and parts are hard to find.

Not that hard...RV supply stores have 'em.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, just making sure you have enough
information to make an informed choice.

Thanks

Any time.

Peggie