Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)[_44_] Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)[_44_] is offline

Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:17:53 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

Dad's GB had a real screamer for a generator (can't recall the brand off
the
top of my head...though I've spent hours and ours hugging it). Replacing
it
with a larger & quieter take-out this year.

Be sure and get an 1800 RPM unit (as opposed to 3600), a sound shield,
and a water lift muffler. Our primary unit is rigged that way and it
is almost inaudible from the flybridge or off the boat.

Theirs has a sound shield & a water lift muffler but is pretty loud
still....and a very regular maintenance headache. I spent a number of years
in the noise-control business so have sourced some anti-vibration mounts for
the new generator (much engine noise is actually transmitted by vibration).
Hopefully the more modern unit & better sound control will make it more
livable for them. The crazy thing about the GB is that they've installed an
AC stove. So...without the generator running, there's no cooking going on
(unless one travels marina-to-marina).

Glenn.
s/v Seawing