Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Ping Bob - more on anchors

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:47:41 -0000, Skip Gundlach
wrote:

PPS Wayne, what size (the number Spade assigns) is a 120# with them?
Gotta be in the 5 or more hundred range?? See above about my choice
problems...

http://www.spade-anchor-us.com/How_t..._to_order.html

The 120 pound Spade is called the S200. I had mine on order with
Glenn Ashmore for 3 or 4 months before I could get one. That may be
overkill for your boat unless you upgrade to 3/8ths HT chain. There's
not much point to buying more anchor than your rode can hold. I'm
thinking that you'd be happy (and more in balance with your chain)
with a S140 at 66 lbs. S140s may be also be easier to get. These
Rocnas look impressive also but I have no first hand experience with
them. We now have about 400 days of actual on-the-water cruising
experience with the 120# Spade and it is one great anchor.

For what it's worth I sold my old Delta. It was OK about 95% of the
time but those other 5% were becoming worisome. I'm now carrying a
66# Bruce, 45# Spade and a 30# Danforth as spares. That's overkill of
course but I've got the room to store them, the Bruce was on the boat
when I bought it, and the 45# Spade was from my old boat. I'm
thinking about getting a really large Fortress to be used only as an
ultimate storm anchor where there would be plenty of opportunity to
get it set well in advance.