Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Ping Bob - more on anchors

Hi, Craig, Bruce, Wayne, Lew, Bob, et. al.,

On chain and other rode, one of my bow anchors is all 5/16HT G40 chain
- but I use a nylon snubber. Practically speaking, so's the other,
but if I get past 125', the other 175' is 3/4" MegaBraid, nylon
stretchier than 3-strand. My storm bags have 30' of 3/8 BBB and the
rest the same MegaBraid. My spares lines (either for extending or
tying off) include several hundred feet of 3-strand 5/8, the original
rodes when we got the boat (the other parts being the above 3/8BBB).

On anchoring, we do, indeed, have a windlass - I use the Capstan for
my elevator rides to the top in a chair - and I have no problem
whatsoever in starting over if I'm not happy with my set. In this
short (only about 17 weeks so far, with waaaaay too many nights at a
dock or ball) trip, I've not only raised and lowered (about 5 times is
my limit before I go somewhere else) repetitively many times, I've
moved to another spot more than a half dozen times. I have very high
standards for what I consider "set" and, like another here, am very
fussy and time-consumptive in getting it down (I believe I've
described my modus in another thread). However, if I see *any*
current (in a slack water environment, of course) going past the bar-
tight chain when I'm backing, hard, I redo it...

On size of anchor, that's what I did - chose the best anchor at the
time, and went up one size (the 55 Delta and at the time, a 65 CQR
replaced my stolen 45 CQR - and the 45 lookalike [which maker I
forget] is now knocked down and spare in the lazarette); the second
CQR replacement, because it was only another 50 or so bux, I went to
*2* sizes up. As I commented when I started this thread, however,
because I'd not seen any testing that *I* thought was meaningful
(several PS reports over several years didn't do the same level of
testing, I didn't think), I hadn't considered the Rocna other than on
a superficial level (I had considered the Spade, but they don't have
an intermediate one between the 80 and 120, the likely size needed for
my boat). This article has me reconsidering.

However, having, now, a considerable investment in new anchors aboard,
this would be a duplicate purchase. After lots of research and
literal search, I was able to find inexpensive means of buying the
first ones. I don't think I'll have that luxury on the Rocna (and I'm
not interested in the knockoff). However, I'm very willing to be
proven wrong :{))

As I commented, should I do that, I'll have to rethink my anchor
management. I don't have a readily available spot to put the Delta,
the likely removal if I go to a Rocna. But, as it's the only one
where I had to pay "retail" (Port Supply), I'm not very happy about
the thought of giving it away - and since it's one of the proven
designs, I guess I'd want to have it aboard - I just don't know where.

L8R

Skip

PS Bob - I noted the no "t" :{)) Midway through the newest version of
HWS Coles/updater...

PPS Wayne, what size (the number Spade assigns) is a 120# with them?
Gotta be in the 5 or more hundred range?? See above about my choice
problems...

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)