Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Anchors

"Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)" wrote in
news:x7lWi.165055$Da.35456@pd7urf1no:

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
"Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)" wrote in
news:JPcWi.165780$1y4.121970@pd7urf2no:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 05:56:15 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I'm one of the new converts to the Rocna and I am amazed at how
well it works.

The Rocna looks to me like a Spade with a roll bar. Are there any
other significant differences?

I've been using Spades on 2 different boats over 7 years and have
been very happy with them.

So...this means I can weld a 'roll-bar' on my pair of old CQR's?
:-)

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

I see the smiley, so I know that this was in jest, but the shape of
the CQR
and the Rocna are completely different. You can see a photo of a CQR
he

http://www.geoffschultz.org/2002

_Sailing/Honduras_La_Ceiba/P6200673.jp

and the Rocna he

http://www.geoffschultz.org/2007
_Sailing/Photos/BlueJacket_Equipment/images/20070304_092900.JPG

As you can see, the Rocna is an inverted plow.

Regarding Wayne's question about the differences between a Spade and
the Rocna, I will simply point you to

http://www.rocna.com/press/press_0612_wm_ym_testing.pdf

as it does a much better job of describing the various differences
between anchors than I can.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Yes, I was chuckling as I wrote that.

On a more serious note, I am interested in the performance of this
anchor. I am planning to replace one of my CQR's this year. I was
planning on a larger Delta & a Fortress. The Rocna is interesting in
place of the Delta...though double the price...but if it's what people
say it is, I'm not worried about the price. Anchors are one of those
things that it's hard to get the straight goods on. Often I think
that folks anchoring woes have less to do with the anchor and more to
do with scope, chain and their methods.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

I'll point out that the Manson Supreme appears to be amlost identical to
the Rocna, yet is much less costly. I have no idea how there aren't
patent infringement lawsuits between the companies. Lloyds of London
was sufficiently impressed by the Manson Supreme to certify it as a
"high holding power" anchor. I have no personal experience with it, and
know no one who has one, so do what you want with this tidbit.

West Marine carries both vendors. At WM, the Manson 60 LB is $595
compared to $800 for the Rocna 55 LB (25 kg). I will also point out
that if you know someone with a Port Supply account, that the Manson is
$438 vs $785 for the Rocna. If you have it shipped to a local WM, the
shipping is free.

Regarding anchoring technique, I always do a 5:1 scope and make sure
that I include the tidal range and the height of the bow roller above
the water in the calculation. It's amazing how mane people forget the
later in their calculation, especially in shallow water. We also back
down heavily on the anchor with a reversing Max prop, so we get a good
feel for the holding. I'm always amazed at the people who throw their
anchor overboard and don't back down!

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org