Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default October 30 - Aground again, Naturally (a riff on a 60's song)...

On 2007-10-31 08:06:34 -0400, Skip Gundlach said:

I can't quite figure out which day you're referring to here, but
Friday, Saturday and Sunday were solid 20-25 with a regular higher
gusts. Moderated a bit Sunday afternoon to 12-15 with some gusts.

You probably would have been fine jib-sailing, but you're cruising now,
so not moving for any or no reason is just fine.

--
Jere

Hi, Jere,

Sunday was the day we passed on. It had been forecast, all the way up
until early that morning, for 20-25, 30G, 3-5, straight on our tail.
Lydia and I would have done it, but in consideration for our
passenger, we took a lay day. Your report of the reality would have
been a very nice run - but not having feet on the ground out there, we
could only go on the NOAA stuff and all the other internet stuff we
could find...

Hey, Pat and I lazed in the anchorage until about 2, not wanting to go
out in *that* and betting that it'd be less sloppy later -- and we only
had 3 nm of open water and half an hour.

You've got the time, pick your battles.

We have stayed in the Solomons a couple of times with a mere 15 knots
on the nose. The first time, after a half hour of escalating mistakes
and frustration, we turned around: Best decision we could have made.
The geometry of that area can make some strange waves.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD