Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Anchors

Gordon wrote in
:

Researching anchors and keep popping up testimonials on how
absolutely great the new Rocnas are! Always set the first time, never
drag in any bottom, yada, yada.
Then I realized why! They size them twice the size of other anchors!
My boat calls for a 15 kg Bruce for 60 knot winds.
A 35# CQR. (16 kg) and
A whopping 33 kg for Rocna!

So does this mean the Rocna design is so lousy it takes twice the
weight to work properly?

Gordon

I'm one of the new converts to the Rocna and I am amazed at how well it
works. A 25 KG (55 lb) replaced a 45 LB CQR as my primary anchor and the
CQR displaced a 46 lb Bruce as a secondary. This is hardly a 2x weight
factor.

What we found is that the Rocna does a much better job of holding than the
CQR did in similar bottoms. We spent 5 months in the Bahamas last year and
several times we watched other boats with 45 lb CQRs drag whereas we didn't
drag at all. A boat that we travelled with had a Hydro-bubble anchor, and
he had a lot of trouble holding in strong blows, when we didn't have any.
He replaced his Hydro-bubble with a Rocna. Another friend with a 53' Swan
just replaced his CQR with a Rocna and reported that he was amazed at how
well it held in places where he had problems getting the CQR to stick.

One thing that I really noted was that I used to have to hand set the CQR
in turtle grass over sand bottoms. Sue would back down on the anchor while
I uprighted the anchor and made sure that it was set. With the Rocna we
just drop it and there's no doubt as to when it has set as the bow swings
hard around and the chain tightens. I'll swim over it to check to make
sure that it's set, but I know what I'll find.

We regularly have to pull the Rocna out with the engine whereas that was a
much more rare event with the CQR.

I also know that anchors are like religion. You trust your life, or at
least your boat's life to them, so you have to have faith in them. Your
mileage may vary, but Rocna made a convert out of me.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org