Bob Bob is offline

Default October 30 - Aground again, Naturally (a riff on a 60's song)...

On Oct 30, 9:53 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:

Who are you and what have you done with Bob? :{))

Ya, that last night stuff was very clean. Could watch the anchor
about halfway down. When I brought it/them up, there was no evidence
of mud on them, and I'm glad to say that the previous mud had largely
removed itself on the way down and up.

Hummm, interesting discovery. DO you think you can use that info when
choosing a place to anchor?? that is if you want to avoid soft mud?

To your question, it's all in the delta.

Ya wonder why its called a DELTA ???

slack water
doesn't let it carry off...

Good on mate. You have just discovered ALUVIUM or ya mght say,
alluvial depsits.

Have yo ever gone clam digging. Usually I go for cockles. they tend to
be in the sandier deposits. Some people rake for cockle but I prefer
the barfoot stratigy.

I trully reocmend clam diging as an anchoring lesson. Once you get
barfootin around the estuary (bay) youll have a much better under
standing of "mud suction factors" and holding ability.

So, what do you use for chain and anchor(s)?

SInce you have read Hinz (note tie no T) you alread know the answere
to that.........................................

what the most common conditions require.

Right now..................
My boat is 26,000 lbs

RIght now I have 200' 3/8" HT and a 45 lb CQR hung.

BUT thats only cause of where I am. Yes, I do have a couple FX
Fortress (mud and sand) and a Bruce stashed. and a buch of double
braid nylon lines, a series drogue, a gailrider, and para anchor. and
ofcoures a few bridles. Each is designd for a very specific use. Used
all in various conditions. Im not that smart so I needed to practice
with each. But Im also the kinds guy that goes out on a beautiful day,
put a big visor over my eyes, and motors through the channel using
RADAR only. Of course I take a peek avery few moments. Kinda like IFR
practice for u pilot types Why, sharpen my radar skills. But then
again Im single and dont have "thoes constant demands."

Skip........... it aint what ya got................... its knowing
when to use it. Go clamming nad get ur boots sucked off your feet and
fall on your butt in the mud. You'll have a better appreciation of
alluvial suction factors. bside, ya might end up wit some good clam
chowda.

Bob

L8R

Skip- Hide quoted text -