Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default October 30 - Aground again, Naturally (a riff on a 60's song)...

On Oct 30, 1:03 pm, Bob wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:57 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:

What a gooey mess the bottom was there in front of Schooner's in
Oxford. No wonder we dragged the first time. There must have been
a foot of black, fine, mud on the Delta, and, of course, with as
much as we had out,

Skip,

Delta makes a few types of anchors. Im assuming your Delta is their
popular plow style similar to a CQR??

If so, might I suggest using an anchor specifically designed for those
conditions you describe above..............

Your in fine mud........... sounds like a mud anchor might be a better
solution than a Delta plow.
but if you find your self in areas of the bay where the water runs in-
out during tide exchanges you'll get more hard packed sand-mud-shell.
Therefore your plow would be a good fit.

So here is your question for the day: Why would you find fluffy fine
mud in one part and packed sand-mud-shell in another part of hte same
bay (estuary)?
Bob

Who are you and what have you done with Bob? :{))

Ya, that last night stuff was very clean. Could watch the anchor
about halfway down. When I brought it/them up, there was no evidence
of mud on them, and I'm glad to say that the previous mud had largely
removed itself on the way down and up.

To your question, it's all in the delta. Just like the Nile used to
do, before the Aswan - floods make for silt distribution, slack water
doesn't let it carry off...

So, what do you use for chain and anchor(s)?

At anchor in Solomons, we have to find a laundry to resolve the dated
UHT milk which gave way and soured our cushions in the saloon, ano the
usual laundry and shopping which comes with towns...

L8R

Skip