Bob Bob is offline

Default October 26 - What A Drag!

On Oct 27, 5:57 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:47 am, Bob wrote:

Hi, Bob, and group,

Answers to your questions:

1) Boat as built was 33K, but with all the stuff, I presume to be at
about 40K.

That works. Thank you.

2) I have not put a strain guage, not owning one, on my chain.

That is not necessary. IF you have read :

"The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring", by Earl Hintz,

The SWL on the shackles and swivels is well in excess of my chain,

This I do not belive......................... How can you get a
shackel pin that equals the BREAKING STRENGTH of chain tthrough the
5/16 chain link???

Try it. It dont work. That is unless........................

As to eye splices, we have only one on the bow,

MegaBraid, spliced properly.

According to who............. the Sampson Cordage Compny or the guy at
West marine???

There's not a better way to do it and
have it go through the gypsy,

And there is your problem right there Skip. Ease and comfort compared
to reliability and safety. You talk-talk-talk and make excuess but
never seem to seek accurate info. Maybe having it go through the gypsy
is not the ONLY/best way to do it.

so it's as good as it's going to get
without that side being all chain as well. New England Rope feels very
confident in that method of splice, so, as I can't prove them wrong,
it's what I did.

They sell the stuff to guys like you knowing you DEMAND the line to go
through a gypsy. Ever ask the England or Sampson people what the
strengh of that attachment creates???? My guess is 60% at best. But
ask the engeers at the company.

As to the supplementary anchoring gear, we have a Fortress 37, a
CQR45, and two smaller danforths, along with rode bags. Those have
the aforementioned MegaBraid and 3/8BBB as which came with the boat as
built, but only about 30', as to carry that in the dink would be
problematic for more. I have additional hundreds of feet of both 3/4
Megabraid and 5/8 threestrand aboard to extend the 300' standard on
all our rodes, whether all chain or part.

But yet you almost ended up on the rocks again........... WHY???

As to finding out exactly what kind of bottom I'm over, throwing a
small anchor overboard, setting it hard (and dragging, as would be
possible with a small one other than hooked terminally on some rock or
other obstruction), motoring over it and then pulling it up to inspect
what came up would be my favored one in waters other than conducive to
diving. As my current professor, however, I expect you'll correct me
as to the actual proper means.

No, I'll let that task to a more knowledgable person....

"The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring", by Earl Hintz,

I don't know the term "Choker Setter" - a clear deficiency
in my education which I will work diligently to remedy.

No need.

As to reading, I agree that the Hinz (Hintz?) book will be worth
acquiring - but I've not yet crossed its path.

For god sakes man. Just go to a book store and order it ! ! ! or go
on line and order it

Bob