Bob Bob is offline

Default October 26 - What A Drag!

On Oct 27, 6:16 am, Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 06:47:01 -0000, Bob wrote:
Please supply the following data;

1) what is the weight of your boat?

2) How much DRAG (pull on your ground tackle) does your boat create
in the following winds

15 knots _________ pounds

30 knots _________ pounds

42 knots _________ pounds

60 knots_________ pounds

..
Bob

You must be joking? This is the sort of questionnaire
that an engineer might address. I will tell you for free, that the
rec.boats.cruising participation group is not largely comprised
of engineers.
You have this data for your boat, I expect.
Accurate to +- 5% I expect?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
p.s. Drag is determined by a whole bunch more factors than
wind speed, dude.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Brian:

No Joke intended here. And in all sincerity I don't believe my
questions are beyond anyone that lingers here. Like I said, It aint
rocket science. The biggest problem I see here is a total lack of
ability/desire to learn................

There are those who say theyve anchored 400 times/year all over the
place and bla bla bla
or
its beyond our ability to learn cause we aint engineers.
or
Uhh, duhh I dont know... weve drug a few times without any problmes

So once a gain I will say that operating a boat does has a prereq
skill set.

You have this data for your boat, I expect.
Accurate to +- 5% I expect?

To answer your question Brian...... Yes I do have that info. Im not an
engineer, just a average joe who doesnt have enough money to risk my
home getting carried to the rocks. Ill tell ya a little secret.......
I read it in a book. A book an engineer wrote so I didnt have to do
the math. THere are some very smart people out there all willing to
help. So I read and take their advice. The BIGGEST problem with that
is any idiot can get $500 bucks for an article in Sailing or Cruising
World. The real challenge is which source to believe.

So as I said to Skip I will also say to you. Please read the text
titled:

"The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring", by Earl Hintz,
He has another titled " Sea Anchors and Drogues" Get that one too.

Once you read both then lets talk..................

PS, Agreed there are several factors, when put together, keep a boat
put..... dude.
But figured that was beyond Skips ability to understand at this
point.