Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default October 26 - What A Drag!

Bob,

What a bunch of crap! How many people do you think actually know any of
the stuff that you're asking, other than the wight of their boat?
According to my logs, I've anchored in over 400 separate locations
throughout the Caribbean and the US, and without knowing the answers to
your questions, I've only managed to drag a handful of times. I've been
in storms at anchor that have reached 72 kts and have bent my anchor
roller assembly like a pretzel. See http://www.geoffschultz.org/2002
_Sailing/Honduras_Roatan/imagepages/image24.htm

What I do know is that I buy the highest quality components that I can
and I make sure that the load ratings match. There will always be a
weakest link, which will rear it's ugly head in those worst of
circumstances, but that isn't what this discussion is about.

I've cruised the Chesapeake and know that most towns only have 1-2
anchorages. In places like the Chesapeake I utilize cruising/anchoring
guides that provide me with basic information such as the holding. Do I
*know* what the bottom is? NO (but I'd bet it's mud in the Chesapeake),
so I'll rely on data gathered from people who have anchored there
before. Can I be sure that I didn't hook a plastic bag, tire, or who
knows what? No! Can I practice good anchoring techniques such as using
appropriate scope and backing down sufficiently hard? YES!

I used to utilize a 45 lb CQR as my primary anchor, but I replaced it
with a 25 KG Rocna and absolutely love the new anchor. I've been in
anchorages where other boats with CQRs were dragging and we stayed put.
If I was in turtle grass over sand, I always had to hand set the CQR,
but I don't have to do that with the Rocna. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Skip certainly has had more than his share of problems, and many of them
are self inflicted, but he's out there doing it and hopefully learning
from his mistakes. Many of the so-called experts in this forum spend
all of their time behind a computer and quote text books instead of
actually cruising. Maybe Skip is crazy by documenting his adventures
and misfortunes in such a public fashion, but I give him credit for not
giving up.

-- Geoff

Bob wrote in news:1193467621.642831.28750
@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

On Oct 26, 6:32 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:
October 26 - What A Drag!

Skip

Dear Skip..................................

Please supply the following data;

1) what is the weight of your boat?

2) How much DRAG (pull on your ground tackle) does your boat create
in the following winds

15 knots _________ pounds

30 knots _________ pounds

42 knots _________ pounds

60 knots_________ pounds

What is the SAFE WORKING LOAD of your chain AND conections (shackles)
and any eye splices. "purdy strong" wont work. I need pounds rated for
EACH item in your anchoring system.... or what normal people call
"ground tackle."

Can you tell me exactly what type bottom youre over???
HOw would you find out if you dont know? If you say look at a chart
youre only 20% right.

If you can not supply the requested information simply kiss your ass
goodbuy.

NOw for some other comments................................
The weight of your anchor is not the only consideration when
calculating "holding ability"
ANchoring is NOT rocket science NOR a magical art.

Its just plain old fassioned RIGGING! and i dont mean rigging as the
yachting group defines it. To be honest most choker setters know more
about rigging than the average "captain" on every sail boat Ive talked
to. ANd ya cant get more stupid than a choker setter.! Hell, guys have
been dragging ships off beaches for hundreds of years. How do they do
that???? A few anchors, some wire rope, a purchase or two. If a bunch
of a two pack a day alcoholic thick knecked salvors can do it a Bank
President with a univesity degree should be able to figure it out dont
ya think Skip?

To think all you need is an Acme FX 99 anchor to keep yo from draging
is naive at best.

Dear SKIP............... go read the following book and stop making
such a public fool of yourself.

"The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring", by Earl Hintz,

Bob

--
-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org