Bruce in Bangkok Bruce in Bangkok is offline

Default Sailboat Swim Platform?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:06:51 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

Hi! Looking to pick your brains a little. I am making some major changes
to my boat this year. Some of you think I'm nuts & that alot of these
changes are not necessary. I remind you that my wife is eager to go back
cruising for a year or two at a time and lots of your wives are not. :-).

One of the additions we are looking for is the addition of a swim platform.
Our boat is a Gulfstar 41' Auxillary (the sailboat hull & not the trawler
hull). This vessel is a centre cockpit. We are looking to build a swim
platform on the stern as well as a fairly substantial boarding ladder from
the platform to deck level. I'd like the platform to be fairly sturdy.

Please post your advise, observations & experience. I need to have some
ideas on design, construction methods & pitfalls I've not yet imagined.

Thanks all!

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

I see a substantial number of sailing boats with swim platforms and
substantial boarding ladders - usually on boats that have cruised a
lot.

I suppose that if you are using a wind vane steerer the platform would
have to accommodate the vane but other then that I don't see a
problem.

One possible point - many marinas use overall length to calculate the
fees and a folding platform might save a bit of money in that case,

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)