Alec Alec is offline

Default Low Oil Pressure at Idle, Volvo AD31B in the Tropics

You did not say what the pressure is at idle.

Does the guage read when idling? Some manufacturers allow a very low
pressure when hot idling. I will check my engine manual next time I go to
the boat.

50 psi when running seems quite OK.

Alec

"hookipa" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently moved my boat from New Zealand (cold water) to Tonga (very
warm water) and I am now experiencing very low oil pressure at
operating temperature at idle. The engine is a Volvo Penta AD31B and
I am not sure of the hours on the engine. As the engine has seperate
circuits for the oil warning light and the gauge, I believe that the
problem is not the gauge/sender. At operating speed i get about 50
psi, but at idle it sometimes turns on the warning light. Any
thoughts or checks before I pull the boat and remove the engine to
check the main bearings and oil pump?