Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Florida Trip Notes

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:21:56 -0500, lid wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 07, Vic Smith wrote:
1. Housing is very affordable compared to where I live,

gfretwell wrote:
Just be sure you know what taxes and insurance will be. There can be a
significant sticker shock when you get that bill.

Which taxes? Advalorem? Sales? Estate? Other?
IIRC, FL doesn't have an income tax does it?

Vic, for comparison, which state do you live in presently?

I'm in Morton Grove, Illinois. It's a suburb North of Chicago, in the
same county (Cook). Up here counties have a lot to do with sales and
RE taxes. Illinois has a pretty stiff income tax, but our income
isn't much now that I retired. I think the sales tax is 8% in Cook
county. RE tax last year was 4K, for a 1200 sq ft house, but I was
just reassessed so I expect that's higher now. The county is a couple
months late with the tax bill because of all the fighting about it.
Up here it's a fairly common practice to protest every tri-annual
assessment and I've paid a tax lawyer @400 for each of the 3
assessments I've been here. It's damn near impossible to figure out
exactly what effect that's had, but when I bought 10 years ago taxes
were 2k.
In any event, from what I can tell, I'm at least in line with the
neighbors.

--Vic