posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default 32v System Wiring a new12 Volt System

Bob,
Virtually no one uses 32V systems anymore, because that market is now filled
by 24 Volt equipment, which actually operates on 28 to 31 volts anyway. All
the advantages of 32V systems are present with the 24V and the scarcity and
high cost of the 32V is gone. Trucks, ships and aircraft all use the 24V
system. Compatible equipment is everywhere. Where you have no choice but to
run 12V gear like small VHF radios, B&G electronics, ect. DC converters are
available and relatively inexpensive. Beware, there are two types, the pass
bank and chopper types, the chopper type can be more than 90% efficient. The
pass bank type works like a simple load resistor and is less than 50%
efficient, where 50% of the power it consumes is shed as waste heat. I would
not even consider using 12V except on craft less than 25'.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
As any 32v owner knows, the advantages of 32v are great, but
unfortunately everything that is purchase from routine electronics,
weather, radios, lighting has a real premium for 32volt and the
selection is greatly limited.

Therefore, can someone please help me with setting up a separate
breaker panel that can supply almost everything on my boat but my
motor (Detroit Diesel) and Gen. Set which would be expensive to
convert to 12v from 32v.

I figured that I could use my existing setup for the DD and Gen and
then run my lights and almost everything else off 12v. It is just as I
replace aged equipment, the investment in 32v is far greater than the
same item in 12v.

Presently, I have a reducer with a terminal strip that powers several
12v radios and equipment and steps down the 32v. This is only a
temporary setup and now it is time to wire a new system. I just don't
think it is practical to run several converters that are required
because of all the 12v stuff I have onboard.

Here are several questions on my immediate short list:

1. Should I simply add a 3rd bank of batteries to operate the NEW
house 12v system?
2. Should I add a new circuit breaker panel to operate off the 12v
system?
3. What is the best way to charge this 3rd battery bank?

Anyone that can help, please post or write

Thanks much Bob