Gregory Hall Gregory Hall is offline

Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
| Paul Cassel wrote in
| :
|
| Harlan Lachman wrote:
|

| Glenn, I have a different take than Paul. As an asthmatic with
sleep
| apnea, really hot humid nights are very bad for me. As you
probably
| know, hot, humid nights have more stuff in the air. Being in
an
| enclosed place and being uncomfortable...
|
| I found it possible to run the smallest AC off my Honda 1000is
| generator.
|
| Harlan,
|
| The generator you post is gasoline powered, not diesel. The
issues of
| a gasoline generator are much different. They are lighter,
quieter,
| and easier to manage, but you then need to transport petrol
which some
| folks don't wish to do including the OP.
|
| Also even though these are very quiet by generator standards,
they
| are, IMO, disruptive in a completely silent anchorage, but
YMMV.

| -paul
|
| I personally HATE it when I'm in an anchorage near someone who
has a Honda
| generator running. I find them far from quiet, especially at
night if
| someone is using one to keep an AC running. What ticks me off
even more is
| people running them at dock becuase they're too cheap to pay for
a power
| hookup and the marina doesn't have rules to prevent it.
|
| -- Geoff
| www.GeoffSchultz.org

Thank you for being a voice of sanity in this sea of selfish
assholes who think their fat bodies and comfort takes precedence
over maybe 20-30 other cruisers with anchored boats trying to enjoy
the peace and quite of a good anchorage. Good until the fat-assed,
selfish, generator-running crowd shows up, that is.Then the
anchorage begins to sound and smell more like an airport. One good
thing about those Honda generators, thought. They are light. When
the inconsiderate clods fire one up and then jump into their dinghy
to go ashore because even they can't stand the racket the light
weight makes it very easy to grab the generator and toss it
overboard. You gotta do it right, though. Don't lift it. Slowly
drag it so those black rubber feet leave skid marks. Then when the
assholes return and find their generator gone they see the skid
marks and think maybe a huge wake slid it over the side. Either way
end of problem as far as listening to all that noise.

Greg (deep-sixed over a dozen portable generators to date!)