Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Keeping a boat/trailer over the winter...

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

http://www.tidewatertrailers.com/wst_page10.html

Winterizing Your Trailer

1. Park in a protected area or cover your trailer with a boat cover
or tarp. Cover tires to protect from UV rays of the sun.
2. Block the wheels, or better, jack up the trailer so the tires do
not come in contact with the ground
3. Fill / repack wheel bearings via Sure Lube
Moisture can cause rust and possible bearing damage, especially when
a trailer sits idle.
4. Lubricate moving parts such as roller bushings, winches and other
rolling parts with lightweight household oil.
5. Tighten loose nuts and bolts.

6. Block the tongue and crank the tongue jack to the completely
closed position.

http://www.discoverboating.com/resou...cle.aspx?id=93

Also

Store boat in a garage or other temperature controlled facility if
possible. If not, cover the boat with shrink-wrap or a large tarp.
If your boat is stored on a trailer, block the wheels so they are off
the ground and loosen tie-down straps to reduce stress on the hull.
Store your inflatables away from rodents, who love to eat hypalon and
PVC fabrics. Also, do not leave the inflatable exposed to the
elements - clouds do not inhibit UV rays.

Well, Reggies, if and when you ever have a boat, you can block up your
tires.

I sold my runabout many years ago, and I don't keep my boat stored on a
trailer, it says in the water unless I have it hauled for maintenance.

Harry,

I remembered one of the other reasons my father recommended jacking the
trailer off so the tires did not sit on the ground. Since I didn't
check the air pressure of the tires during the winter, he said it was
common for the tires to become low in pressure, with would cause
additional stress on the sideways, and cause the sidewalls to crack
prematurely. I had a tank of air I would bring up in the spring to fill
the tires before the first time I used it. You have stated many times,
that you don't keep your boats for more than a few years (after only
using them for very few hours), so it really isn't important for you.

But the original poster was wondering what the recommendation of the
experts are, here is another one who recommends jacking the tires off
the ground.

http://www.maxrules.com/storeit.html