Leanne Leanne is offline

Default Cruising Boat Generator (small)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:27:33 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:46:59 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

If I were planning on putting a generator in a boat I'd "ping" Larry
as he recently described a new model Honda that apparently is a DC
generator and an inverter combined. Larry says that he uses one and it
is quite and efficient.

Unfortunately that is not a marine generator that can be installed
below decks, nor it is a diesel.

Right, besides the noise, I don't like that this think can never be below
deck (gasoline). The generator and it's fuel supply always sit at the
stern
rail. Don't get me wrong, we're used to it & live with it pretty well. A
similar sized diesel system would be welcome.

Glenn.

Well, I can say from experience that you probably do not want an air
cooled diesel generator either. The previous owner of a power boat I
am rebuilding installed one. Noisy, vibrates and makes a nice heater
for the cabin when it is cold. Plus, no emergency shutdowns installed.

The problem with a fixed gen set in a 35 foot boat (I think the OP
said that) is where do you put it? I've seen them installed but
generally it turns out to be a compromise.

I watched them install a BalMar single cylinder diesel, in a 36' Cape Dory.
They put it aft of the engine which made the boat squat in the ster. Not
pretty to look at. The other thing was that if you had to get to the
steering quadrant, you had to unbolt the generator and slide it out into the
pilot berth and then squeeze by it to get to the steering and packing gland.
When the generator was running, you could hardly stand the vibration and
noise down below, but they had air conditioning.

Leanne