Default Keeping a boat/trailer over the winter...

"Toller" wrote in message
I am have my first trailered boat; before now my boats were small enough to
just store upside down on the dock for the winter.

Someone told me it I should put the back up on blocks to take the load off
the tires, so I have done that. How about the front. Must that be
propped up also, or is the crank thing okay?

The guy I bought it from lubed everything last April. The trailer has
only been in the water twice since then. Does it need any maintenance?

Thanks much

- Did the previous owner tell you anything about the wheel bearings? Do you
see something like this in the centers of your wheels?
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/ Or, do you just see a metal cap?

- Before it's too cold to work outdoors without gloves, take a good look at
all wire junctions. Make sure all splices look clean, not corroded. If
they're made with electrical tape over soldered wire joints, that's sloppy
and they should be replaced with crimped connections covered with heat
shrink tubing.

- Spare ti Got one? Is it secured to the trailer with a cable lock or
some other method?

- Check all trailer hardware for tightness. Make a list of the tools you
need to tighten these things, and buy a dedicated set of tools that will
live in the tow vehicle. Boats & trailers only have problems when you're
away from home. Don't buy cheap tools, figuring that you're not likely to
need them. When you're on the side of a highway in the pouring rain, cheap
tools won't make you happy.

- Check all the boat wiring (lights, etc.) now, same as you did for the
trailer. Tape & solder joints are for slobs. Only crimps & heat shrink
tubing are allowed in this universe, for boats & other toys that live
outdoors.