Joe Joe is offline

Default Another History Channel Special

On Oct 20, 9:42 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
Do you think that car model had true scale thickness body panels?

--
Roger Long

No... looks as if it's solid, machined out to mount the motor, running
gear and other parts. I saw the real one once in parts on a microscope
slide at the SAE congress. They had the assembled one driving a figure
8 course they had carved into a dime.

If that were a goal, it could be accomplished. The bumpers were scale
thickness IIRC. I think when they made this car it cost 35 million to
tool up to build it.

It would seem a ships hull would be a breeze compared to a running
auto to build 1/1000th scale.

I agree with your statement to a point, but wonder if the
compartments in a ship of scale would provide more support than full
scale allowing you to pick up a ship model without it folding.

It is amazing how "fragile" ships are. Once during a storm in the
S.China sea I remember looking down a ships cargo handling passage way
and seeing the ship twist and flex by several feet each way....like a
wet noodle.

Joe