posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Ian Ian is offline

Default NORDHAVN Rewrites Physics Textbooks

On 17 Oct, 17:12, (Richard Casady) wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:54:09 -0700, Ian
wrote:

Let's have a little think, shall we? The earth's magnetic flux density
has a maximum of around 0.07 mT. The linear velocity of the earth at
the equator is 40,000km / 24 hrs = 462 m/s. The absolute best you can
therefore hope to achieve with a homopolar generator is 462 m/s * 0.07
mT = 0.03 V/m.

A 20m mast will therefore give you a whopping 0.6V (maximum) to play
with.

More like 12 000 volts.

The earth has an electrical field of, average, 200 volts per vertical
foot. You can be well zapped by the charge on tower that is insulated
from the ground. The object sucks electrons from the air, and although
you don't get much current, the juice accumulates, like static charges
do. This has **** all to do with the earths magnetic field, which
rotates with the earth.

When did we shift into bizarre kook science?

Ian