posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building
thunder thunder is offline

Default Questions for Cruisers Onboard Computers

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 06:05:28 +0000, Alex wrote:

To my knowledge, a Windows PC won't boot from an external hard drive. It
will boot from an internal CD or DVD, but I don't think it will
recognize a USB or FireWire remote drive. I believe a Mac will boot from
an external drive, further proof that Macs are for wimps and people who
want to get work done, while Windows machines are for us macho geeks who
enjoy pointless, frustrating challenges. (g)

Seeing that you enjoy frustrating challenges, you *might* be able to boot Windows from an
external drive using Grub, or a Super Grub disk. While I don't have much use for Windows,
grub will allow chainloading, allowing you to move Windows bootloader from the MBR to
another partition, or even another hard drive. Hey, it might be a frustrating challenge, or it
might work. :-) Some information on how other OSs do it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html