Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Water tanks - alum or plastic?

On 2007-10-02 15:40:40 -0400, druid said:

I've always seen plastic watertanks, but the boat I'm buying has an old
aluminum one (I think it's alum: it's metal, and not SS). Is there any
advantage to alum over plastic or vice-versa? I'm planning on
replacing it with a bigger one, and first I thought plastic, but should
I consider aluminum instead? I've always disliked the "plastic" taste
in the water from a plastic tank.

I prefer aluminum over plastic and wouldn't replace a perfectly good
tank with a bigger one, but would add tanks in otherwise unused corners
of the boat.

(Wow - I really started a war on this one - sorry!)

Nothing to be sorry about. The thread ceased to be about the subject
very early.

All things being equal, I'd agree: add a tank rather than replace.
However, this is a 28-ft boat and there aren't a lot of options. The
existing tank is cylindrical, with no access port. And it's sitting
under the V-berth, where there's lots of room for more tanks.... if
this was was taken out. So my Plan is to remove the existing tank, put
in a platform where the old tank was, and put in His'n'hers water and
holding tank. I can't do that without removing the existing tank (which
sounds like not a bad idea anyway: better safe than sorry for an
unscrubbable, un-lineable aluminum tank!)

druid
"Coatue" Crown 28

Xan's also a 28, but we have so many unused corners, I forget that not
all boats do. (diagram on Xan's "interior" pages doesn't quite show all
our stowage.)

I'd say get Peggie Hall's book on sanitation, of course, and suggest
that you double the size of the holding tank you envision (ours is 40
gallons and sometimes we have to leave anchorages early). I've come to
agree with Ms. Head Mistress that the holding tank ideally should be in
the bottom of the "V", with two large vents to either side of the hull
for cross-flow.

I like the water tank(s) to be as far away from the ends of the boat as
possible -- while maintaining trim on the boat, so you may have to move
something forward from the transom in the process.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD