Default Lake Lanier drying up?

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 15, 9:04?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

I have an acquaintance who tells me that we don't need to think about
finite
resources because god will take care of everything.

Many of the major religions, certainly including Christianity,
generally believe that it is God's ultimate plan to destroy the
universe and gather the true believers into a spiritual haven.
Revelations is a difficult book to get a handle on, but IMO the
general theme is that man will be allowed to screw things up to the
point where *only* a divine intervention can resolve anything. The
ensuing war between "good" and "evil" will result in 1000 years of an
earthly "Kingdom of God", ruled by Jesus, after which physical reality
of any kind will cease to exist but spiritual reality will endure.

But maybe while we're waiting for the Apocolypse and for Jesus to
return and straighten everything out, we ought to take some care of
the world we inherited from out parents and are passing on to our
kids?
There's an important distinction between an ascetic disdain for
materialism and destructive disregard of the environment.

If your religious friend is a Christian,

Oh yeah. She works for a megachurch, and believes the whole deal.

ask him or her whether the
parable of the ten talents charges us to develop as well as preserve
divine gifts.
In that story, the servant judged most successful was the one who not
only preserved his gift but who managed to increase it as well....
(then it just becomes a matter of figuring out whether the natural
environment is/was the divine gift, or whether the nuclear power
plants, freeways, and consumer widget factories are). :-)

I'll mention this to her. She's a believer, but not the type that's
disconnected her brain (yet).