posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default NORDHAVN Rewrites Physics Textbooks

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:28:23 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

o doubt the craptain also doesn't beleive in back EMF or any of the
other phenomena which appear to produce "something from nothing" however
it's not the case that something is being produced from nothing and in
this case the extra energy is achieved at the usual expense of not being
able to sail directly into the apparent wind.

I believe in entropy. The so called extra energy comes directly from
the thrust bearing of the engine, and it will drink more with a sail
developing lift. I don't necessarily say there is no benefit to having
a sail up. Lift means drag. The ratio, in an airplane, is equal to the
glide angle. The longer and skinnier the wing the better it will
glide. There is a name for that, aspect ratio. Generally low for
sails. My father had a gaff rigged schooner: now there is real low.

Casady