posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Nice Steel Hull

That's kids stuff.

says the guy whose never done anything remotely like it.

Joe wrote:
What ? My labrisa dink will plane out and hit twenty on a good day,

?!?
Yeah right

and she has a tiller. Just as good as any benny! Better even.

Sorry Joe... "has a tiller" is not the main qualification in
determining boat performance; a dinghy like yours is a lot of fun to
sail but in NO WAY is even in the same ball park... not even the same
continent... as a sport boat, much less a skiff.

Look at it this way... it's an achievement for a foiling Moth to break
20 knots. The Swift Solo might do it under exceptional
circumstances.... a boat like a 5-0-5 will not.... the fastest I've
ever sailed a Lightning felt like 20+ but was actually timed out at
about 12k, and that was on a day when it was insane to take the boat
out (blowing 35+, eventually ordered off the lake by officials).

I'm glad that you have fun sailing the dink, but do you seriously
think it's faster than a Lightning, much less a 5-0-5? Let's not be
too delusional OK?

Very cool video, thanks for the link. I like the struggle getting the
trysail set, and the wave impact that blows the guy off the windward
rail & down the companionway.

Makes you think twice about no wearing a harness. I like the guy
bashing his head on the mast aloft...good thing he had a helmet.

True.
You'd have to be nuts to try & work on deck in conditions like that
without a harness.

Those boats were specifically designed to sail well in those
conditions, including to windward;

They look like pretty stout boats, I like the way they shiver.

Went on one at the Annapolis boat show a few years back. They are
awesome boats... not particularly fast but they would be great
passagemaker cruisers.

DSK