JohnH

Default Commentary: Death by 1,000 cuts in Iraq

On 25 Aug 2003 15:40:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Kent State won't happen again.

During the time of Kent State, the U.S. military had little choice
except to kill students who protested their actions. Today, other
choices exist. With the establishment of Camp X-Ray, America's premier
concentration camp, those who speak against the country and its oil
interests can be sent for an indeterminate stay.

Arbeit Macht Frei,

--Tim May

It wasn't really the "military" who opened fire on the kids at Kent State. It
was mostly other kids, (many no older than the students), serving in the
National Guard.

In recent times, the National Guard is being deployed routinely, but in the
60's there was a draft to keep the armed services fully supplied with fresh
recruits.
Some people (including a future prez or two) went into the National Guard to do

part-time duty stateside rather than go to Viet Nam. National Guardsmen and
ROTC
students had a real tough time on a lot of campuses- they were treated as "sell
outs" by the most vocal portions of the student body. The NGmen couldn't have
been thinking clearly that day. Obviously.

I don't think a professional soldier would have opened fire on kids at
university, especially after they had begun to disperse as ordered. Some of the
kids killed at Kent State were shot in the back- and that makes it difficult to
claim self defense.

Even the worst abuses in Viet Nam, (use My Lai as an example), were often the
result of putting inexperienced young officers and kid soldiers into situations
that required experience and mature judgment.

Most of the people who did their service during that time were good people, and
most who were compelled by conscience to speak out against the war were good
people as well. It's tragic that 40 years later, we all too often characterize
people on either side of the issue by the most extreme behavior of either side
at the time.

Very well said Gould. Thank you.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD