posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default 5:1 Epoxy: Less Hardener For Closed Space?

On Oct 10, 8:18 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I've got a cylindrical cavity about 1.25" in diameter and 1.5"
deep that I plan to plug with a cylinder of styrofoam that's
slightly smaller in diameter.

West System resin and 206 hardener plus a little 403 adhesive
filler and/or some chopped-up fiberglass.

Smear the inside of the cavity with the mix, making sure there's
enough at the bottom to smooth over any irregularities, smear
the plug, pour some of the mix in to the cavity, moosh the plug
down until the mix overflows the edges and the plug won't go down
any further, and let it harden - trimming jelled resin as
possible/convenient.

My concern is that in that confined space, the resin will go off
too hot and melt the plug and/or the surrounding styrofoam.

Is this a legitimate concern? If so, how far can I depart from
5:1 and still be sure the stuff will harden?
--
PeteCresswell

Do not vary the ratio provided by the manufacturer. Epoxy is not like
poly where you can "heat" a batch with more hardner. On a molecular
level, and in laymans terms, epoxy molecules need to individually
connect to a hardner molecules to react and finish. If you say use 20%
less hardner, you will in theory have a mixture of which 20% will
never cure... in laymans terms...