Default Judging the performers...

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:47:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

. ..
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:10:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Never mind. The other option is to just let the windows go to hell, and
replace them with modern ones sooner than I wanted to.

Best move I ever made.

I replaced 31 of them in one of our apartment houses to the new vinyl
type.

Saved me a ton of money on heating costs.

I'm in a "WTF to do at the moment" situation. I'll tell ya...I looked at
the
utility bills this morning and thought that if I considered ONLY the cost
of
the windows, and installing them myself, I could've justified it NOW. I'm
positive they'd pay for themselves within a couple of years. But, for a
number of reasons, there wasn't enough time to do the job this past
summer.
And, never having done it before, I'm nowhere near as fast as the pros. A
two day job for them is probably a week for me.

The other issue is the size of the windows here. They're weird. I'd have
show you pictures to illustrate....

The house we're in now have odd sized windows - when it was built, the
builder did some hinky things and one of them was purchasing odd lot
windows for a development. We managed to get the house with all the
left overs.

It's not hard to remove and replace. Do one and you've got the
technique down for the rest - it's just a question of measuring
properly when you order the windows. Once you've got that done, piece
of cake.

I did this house, 13 windows, in one day - 10 hours of work.

The measuring would be the first challenge. Never having seen this house
"naked" (framed, without coverings), I'm not sure how to measure. In my
son's harem is a girl whose dad is a carpenter. I may see if he's interested
in a teamwork situation, like the one you described.

Speaking of teenagers, my son just left with a friend from his dorm. The
friend tried to get out the door ahead of my son, and took 45 seconds to
open the screen door. My son's enough of an observer that he didn't say a
word while this went on. He turned around and gave me this "I wonder how
long this will take" look. The friend finally figured out that the latch
needed to be turned instead of pushed.

His friend's a physics major. NASA beware.