Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default Judging the performers...

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:48:33 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 11, 7:32 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:10:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
Never mind. The other option is to just let the windows go to hell, and
replace them with modern ones sooner than I wanted to.

Best move I ever made.

I replaced 31 of them in one of our apartment houses to the new vinyl
type.

Saved me a ton of money on heating costs.

But did they get you out of a jam you had talked yourself into??

Owning and managing a small apartment complex has to be a nightmare.
Unless the property is in a hot real estate market for rental property I can
think of many ways to get a better ROI.

In some ways, it was but that was more related to my own inability to
do certain things like climbing 50 foot ladders and not being able to
redo the roof by myself which in days of old, I would have done. It
stopped being fun.

All things considered, we were very careful with the tenants and as to
repairs, that's all a part of doing business.

We also made a ton of money off of the four out the six that we owned
- it got to the point where I had to sell them otherwise we would take
a huge hit when the Dems get their 30% capital gains tax. For
example, that one we just discussed sold for two and a half times what
we paid for it six years ago. Subtract the repairs and it came out at
2 times what we paid for it. Subject the capital gains and I'm still
WAY out in front of the cost of ownership.

The other two we own we bought cheap enough that even at 30%, we're
still ahead by 100% profit.

Multi-family homes aren't all that hot, but good ones are in demand -
in particular when they are maintained properly.